Saturday, April 24, 2010

This is certainly different...

So...I've now spent about a month and a half in Afghanistan. I've been in MRAPs (google it), I went thru M-16 and Counter IED training, and I've flown in C-130s and Chinook helos. I've been in rocket attacks, I've lived (and worked) in tents, and I'm currently sitting at a Dutch Cafe in the NATO base at Kandahar, enjoying stable internet and a non-cafeteria breakfast. Definitely the most interesting thing I've done. Played a little live poker with coworkers and other soldiers, but I don't yet have a consistent enough internet connection to try logging back into FTP or Stars. The cars have been the most interesting aspect of this adventure for me. You hear stories about how the Taliban uses mostly Toyota HiLux pickups...and it's true. Those things are everywhere. My company leases 8 or 9 of them for use here at Kandahar, along with older model HiLux Surfs (4Runners in the States), Prados (Lexus GXs in the States), and the occasional Land Cruiser. Half are LHD and half are RHD. Quite the culture shock to drive a stick shift from the wrong side. But back to the Toyotas. Even the military (US and others) use them. The Surf SUVs are the most prevalent NTV (non-tactical vehicles) used by everyone's personnel. It is definitely interesting. My thoughts aren't exactly coherent right now, and I'll try to put together a more rational post with pictures in the near future. For now, I'm ok, hot and dusty, but ok. Wish I could find a table to jump into, but I'll settle for getting an occasional blog post out. Take care world, and I'll post when I can.

1 comment:

BrainMc said...

I love the HiLuxes (HiLuxi?). I think they are more rugged looking than the Tacomas we have here in the states. I would dig a 4 door, 4 cylinder, diesel one. You could drive that thing for 20 years and it would do anything you could ask from it.