Saturday, March 27, 2010

I'm Still Here...Sort Of.

Wassup peeps? I have news. After 8 months of unemployment I finally got a job! Of course in this economy, it's not exactly the ideal position. I've always been an urban planner, and this job does entail planning. The wrinkle is that I'm working for a defense contractor (no, not Blackwater or Haliburton) doing planning for the expansion of several military bases in Afghanistan! I've received training in MRAP (like a Hummer on 'roids) rollovers, combat lifesaving skills, weapons training, and Counter-IED detection and avoidance. And there have been a couple of mortar attacks on the base since I've been here. All in all, I'm wondering just what I've gotten myself into.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post, but I'll give updates as often as possible. Being on the government network, there are a lot of web restrictions to deal with (I'm writing this on my BlackBerry), but I will be buying a netbook when I get to my main base. It's far from ideal and I miss DAPGF and the dogs terribly, but the economy hasn't given me any other options. Not sure if I'll be able to play poker online either, but I did bring a thumb drive with the Stars and FT clients on it. We shall see. Have fun out there!

2 comments:

Easycure said...

Congrats!

I've been unemployed since Aygust 3rd, 2009 and I'm about to take a job as a waiter. At least it will be a little money coming in.

Good lick at your new digs!

SirFWALGMan said...

Gratz? Do you at least get combat pay?