Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Happy Freaking New Year!

Hey! New Year, New Blog Duds...you like? It took a while to find a template I like, which in a way relates to where my life is (or isn't) going these days.

I am still unemployed, but now that the holidays are past, maybe people will start hiring and I can start rebuilding my life. If I could transition into a new career and immediately make the money I've been making after more than 14 years in the same career, I would totally do so. Unfortunately, that isn't likely to happen. Still, the field of urban planning doesn't seem to have a really big future in the San Diego area, so it's looking like I leave San Diego or I start taking classes is something computer-related (hence the blog-template comment earlier). I'm pretty good with computers...installing and configuring hardware is reasonably easy, and I am able to figure out new software fairly quickly. I just have had no formal training in programming, networks, databases, and the like. Who knows...maybe I will luck out and find a job here in the San Diego area. It's a slim chance, but it would certainly be the easiest course of action.

Beyond the job hunting, I'm trying to make the most of my time. Organizing my finances is a joke, because with no income there's not a hell of a lot to organize. I am trying to structure my days in such a way as to allow me to blog and play poker more frequently. And I am trying to get into better shape by watching what I eat (more difficult to do on a mega-tight budget than you might think), and working out more consistently. The depression that has thus far been the monkey on my back is quite the demotivator, but I'm trying to shake it and regain control of my motivation and mojo. FWIW, I managed to make it to the gym the first 3 days of the year. I had to skip Monday and Tuesday because I had obligations related to my unemployment, but so far so good. For those readers who have followed me over from What Happened, I'm thinking of setting a goal of losing 2 pounds per week, measured Friday morning to Friday morning. Conveniently, January 1 fell on a Friday, so my start date is numerically significant.

I will also be talking about movies and music here, although I obviously can't afford to go to the movies right now. Most of you know that, while my first musical love is Metal in its various forms, I do listen to a bunch of different artists and genres. Driving home from my meeting this morning, the last five songs to shuffle up in the car were:

In The Mood - Robert Plant
Check My Brain - Alice in Chains
Center of the Sun - Conjure One
I Go Back - Kenny Chesney
Tooth and Nail - Dokken

Ultimately, I'm trying to take whatever control of my life I can. As much as you would think that not spending 8-9 hours per day in an office would give me that freedom, it's amazing how depressing a lack of money and identity can be. Still, I'm trying. Keep checking back, and I'll keep trying.

3 comments:

TenMile said...

New Year, Hoff.

Stay positive, and keep writing.

DuggleBogey said...

Congrats on the new look, it's very nice.

iamhoff said...

Thanks for the good thoughts, and thanks for the comments on the template, Duggles. I remember back in the good old days when you were making banners for the blogging crew. I wish I could claim any part of this template (beyond the aesthetic ability to pick it), but my HTML chops are nowhere near this. Give me some time, tho, and I'll get my geek on. See ya out there.